The ultimate healer. This traditional Indian dish is great to make when you have the cold or flu, a hangover, postpartum, or just need some warm comfort. Both basmati rice and yellow lentils are gentle on the digestive system. The spices are anti-inflammatory and strengthening for the immune system. Everything in this recipe has a purpose.
2 tbl Ghee, plus more for serving
2 bay leaves
2 tsp each black mustard seeds, turmeric powder, ground ginger, black pepper
1 tsp each fennel seeds, cumin powder, coriander powder
1.5-2 tsp salt
1 cup basmati rice
1 cup yellow lentils
6 cups water
*I make this in my Instant Pot, but you can also adapt this for the stove top. It will just take longer.
- Soak the rice and lentils together in cool water for 30-60minutes, drain, rinse and set aside
- In a small bowl mix together all of the spices except for the mustard seeds and bay leaf
- Heat ghee on sauté setting until it thins
- Add mustard seeds and listen for them to pop then turn the instant pot off
- Add the bay leaf
- Stir in all of the other spices including the salt
- Add the rice, lentils and water, and stir until combined
- Cover and set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook on the High setting for 12 minutes with the pressure valve in the sealed position. Let the pressure naturally release for 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully release the remaining pressure, open the pot and give the Kitchari a good stir, removing the the bay leaves if you see them.
- Serve with a little ghee a sprinkle of salt and fresh herbs (in the photo above, I had some mushrooms and collards on the side)
*To reheat leftovers add water, heat and stir until it reaches your desired consistency.